The September 28, 2016 Meeting
Program: Mayor Peter Christie - "Beautification of Bella Vista"
Artistic Design: Linda Neymeyer and Barb Templin - "Flower Drying Techniques"
Horticulture: JB Portello - "Native Plants"
Scholarship Recipients - Olivia Caillouet and Loren Anthony
Dorothy Sandoval, 2nd VP; Char Brunje, Assistant Treasurer; Linda Neymeyer, Secretary; Judy Jeffrey, 1st VP; and Tony LiCausi, President. Not shown: Betty Boling Stull, Assistant 2nd VP; Karen Welch, Treasurer; Barb Templin, Assistant Secretary; and
Kate Pilarski, Parliamentarian.
Next Meeting October 26, 2016
Program: Linda Neymeyer, BVGC Member - "Flower Arranging for Your Home"
Artistic Design: Floral Design Committee – “Design Book Presentation”
Horticulture: Alycyn Culbertson – "Butterflies In Your Garden"
Click on this pix to enlarge it.
BVGC will have a booth at the Bella Vista Farmers Market every 3rd Sunday for the rest of this year.
Volunteers needed to staff the booth!
WHAT TO DO IN YOUR GARDEN NOW
The web worms are back but don't panic.
The worms will not kill the tree unless it is totally covered and the tree is extremely stressed. Just puncture the web with a rake or pole and the wasps will take care of the worms. If the web is too high to reach, a pellet gun can work to open the web.
- Apply winterizer on lawn areas, and pre-emergeant for winter weeds.
- If you haven’t planted fall color such as pansies and violas, or decorative kale go for it!
- Get a few decorative pots of mums to put on your porch or front steps.
- Fall is a great time for planting trees and shrubs.
- It’s time to plant your spring bulbs like daffodils and tulips. Remember to apply bone meal (mixed into the soil) to jump start when planting.
- Move your tropicals and houseplants back indoors after cleaning them up and checking for insects.
A new link has been added to the Native Plant section that lists native plants specific to your area and the caterpillars that use them as host plants based on the research of Dr. Doug Tallamy.